Councilman Mike Smith on the Jeff Marina Proposal: Gawnews Exclusive

June 2, 2013 Gawnews exclusive interview with Councilman Mike Smith. Smith comments on the Mayor’s proposed Marina plan for the Jeff waterfront. Smith has had dock on the Riverfront for many years and the project is in his district. He has some insight into the challenges the city faces with this project.

Smith notes that any plan is subject to approval by the Corps of Engineers. That is always a demanding process. More importantly, he notes that the natural challenges presented by the Ohio River and it’s changes, The fact that Jeffboat barges are just upriver, and the issues surrounding maintenance means the project is far more complex than might appear to be the case by the casual observer.

27 comments for “Councilman Mike Smith on the Jeff Marina Proposal: Gawnews Exclusive

1. kevin vissing
    June 2, 2013 at 9:35 pm

No sound! Or is it just me?

• June 2, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Just you. I think …the first 10 seconds don’t have sound.

2. Leah
    June 2, 2013 at 10:09 pm

• Brian Coffman
      June 3, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Mike is way cooler than Magnum. He has cooler cars as well.

3. Leah
    June 2, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Very good points Mike. Way to leave us in suspense G.

June 2, 2013 at 10:16 pm

GNB River Report Deck!
    Excellent journalism!
    The G runs a top notch media gig!
    ‘Toons rule!

June 2, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Goliath,
    I liked your previous “pirate report”
    concerning river expeditions
    with CGR!

6. Jules
    June 2, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Good interview!!…It was very helpful to have a visual of some of the challenges…I don’t think anyone is “against” something being done on the riverfront, I think it’s more a question of what and what cost…And bang for buck too.

• June 3, 2013 at 12:32 am

You’re hit the nail on the head Jules with “bang for your buck”.

As I said over on CCC, it’s not that it’s a bad idea. It’s just that if this is the center piece of the “Moore Plan” it is very lack luster.

7. June 3, 2013 at 1:02 am

Councilman Smith did a nice job. It’s easy to see his enthusiasm for Jeff and his role in helping things.

• June 3, 2013 at 1:15 am

Completely agree. (BTW, nice scoop by GAW)

And his statement about thinking the cost being higher than projected should not be viewed as confrontation with the mayor. It’s just a reasonable assumption as the plan is in its early development and all plans (no matter who comes up with them) tend to go up.

Now the Moore administration’ s comments about the council… that’s a different story.

• June 3, 2013 at 1:42 am

My impression of Mayor Moore is that if you are not ACTIVELY bragging on how GREAT he is, he takes the impression you are thinking bad things about him or, worse, plotting bad things.

That could be bad because if it’s even half way correct, it means the only people making it (surviving) around him are people who are being deceitful to him ( i.e., not telling him the truth, pretending enthusiasms they don’t really have, telling him what he wants to hear etc.,) Every King needs a jester around to remind him of reality when all the courtiers are kissing his ….. ring.

I am pleased to see that lately he seems to be doing better….at least publicly. He’s going to the openings of businesses and projects…he is saying the right things…he is avoiding controversy…..and then we get this crack from Les about the ‘do nothing council’ It seemed to come out of nowhere.

Meanwhile, I do think the council got blindsided by the Marina project. But, on top of that to come out and insult them…. Hmmm that’s a weird kind of “power play” .

June 3, 2013 at 1:24 am

GNB Pesty Sigthing Desk
    Well…it seems that bro Pesty
    has been on the CCC again!
    AND
    Pesty has put up yet another shameless post
    on the CCC
    linking back to GAW!
    The rascal!

9. June 3, 2013 at 1:30 am

Mike handled the “Do nothing council” quote/accusation by Les Merkley very well. He complimented Mr. Merkley for past achievements.

10. June 3, 2013 at 1:35 am

We will try to have Part 2 up later this week if we get a good response to this story.

11. kevin vissing
    June 3, 2013 at 2:37 am

My phone has no sound…..all of complete interview. Ill try pc

12. Vicki
    June 3, 2013 at 3:17 am

Very well explained by Mike. Thanks GAW for coverage

13. Lenny
    June 3, 2013 at 5:24 am

Merkley is getting his bra straps in a knot and going into full-out Moore campaign mode (on the tax dime) because Dennis Julius done went and got himself a Facebook page. They brought in ladyfriend from the newspaper and are scrambling to rebrand the mighty king.

• June 3, 2013 at 10:18 pm

I would check you for that comment re: Les. But, I am told Les does not read the political “stuff” on Gawnews….only the humorous stuff.

14. Brian Coffman
    June 3, 2013 at 9:11 pm

We are about 20 years to late for the dock improvement I wanted. It involved a big boat that people could gamble on. Oh well. It will be interesting to see what happens. I really like what Mike Smith had to say.

15. June 3, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Goliath still (perhaps vainly) hoping that someone with sense will prevail and they will build a casino facility down at the overlook.

16. cindiloohoo
    June 4, 2013 at 11:42 am

I enjoy your videos for the most part, Goliath, but you really need to adjust the volume level on the accompanying music – it’s usually a little too loud and overpowers the dialogue.

• June 4, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Yes, the music is adjusted to the limit on ‘favor original audio’ so if there is any music this was to be the best I could get it set. It’s only the first minute because I wanted something to cover the title shots (which are otherwise soundless). Sprout chose the track which I kind of agree with for ‘punch’. However, I will order the extensive crew down at the Goliath Films International to work on this problem.

• cindiloohoo
        June 4, 2013 at 12:42 pm

The music selection itself was excellent – brought to mind “Mission Impossible.”

• June 4, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Yeah. The music is bad ass. The sprout has impeccable taste.

17. Leah
    June 4, 2013 at 2:33 pm

“I know you read my shit.”

18. Kfetz
    June 8, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Great work G….Mike is a tireless advocate for the downtown / City of Jeffersonville. He has taken on his role and represented the City as well as anyone that has served on the Council. Keep up the good work Mike.