Goliath Reflects on the Past

Goliath knows one or two people that spend time in the past.  Goliath enjoys good old stories about the old days …back in the day…just like anybody else.  But,  Greaser (i.e., Charles Gregory Read) once he had few was apt to sound off on mutual friends that liked to revel in the glory days of the past…. the wild times,  the wild wimmens, the wild vine and the all the wild rest.

However,  Goliath knows very very well that you have to keep on turning the pages.  Goliath, fortunately,  has not grown tired  and is still turning pages and so long as able will keep turning them.  Someday,  will shut down this here blog…or leave it to others … and Goliath in a kind of mood to think of or think up a new adventure…. But, Goliath still got the Sprout to raise up.  So for a few years there won’t be nothing tooo radical.

Still,  we all think about the past.  Goliath look at it…and some memories are painful. Painful indeed.  And, turn out…the pain can still keep coming.  But,  Goliath at a place where at least the pain comes from knowingly done deeds. Done for the right reasons.  Goliath a lucky giant….most of the time Goliath has put his hand on the plow and the row turned up and the hammer struck well and true.  But, sometimes…anybody knows…sometimes it don’t always work out. So Goliath has known failure. A good teacher.  But,  figure it this way….would you do it different?   If the answer is  “no” then you are ok.

Unfortunately, Can think back over the years …and there ARE some things would do different.  Yep…and even now Goliath kinder ‘wince’ when he think of these here. And some will never forgive self for.  Nope.  Goliath do believe in a concept…”Atonement” but  one of the things about atonement is you don’t talk about what it is you done or what you done to make up for it.  So …if you are reading this you just gonna have to wonder about that.   Meanwhile…there is some things we do or,  that Goliath done….it hurt and it hurt others.  Yet…these particular things had to be done..or so Goliath sees it.  For these things….even if you wish they hadn’t happened…there’s nothing you can do about now.

9 comments for “Goliath Reflects on the Past

1. March 26, 2013 at 2:31 am

Very heavy G. I feel this.

Don’t leave us just yet. We still need you!

2. Jules
    March 26, 2013 at 3:03 am

Very reflective tonight I see G…( And I have to agree with Leah, heavy stuff too)……Decisions made, not always the right ones…Opportunities gained or lost…People coming in and then going out of your life, (including people you couldn’t imagine not being in your life, but yet you find you still survive after they’ve left you)…What’s that all about??…So many high’s and lows…And we ALL have things to atone for, but in the end don’t you think everything mentioned is just part of the human experience??…I think if we can look back and see we’ve done more good than caused hurt and that our heart was in the right place most of the time, then we’ve done OK for mere mortals.

3. March 26, 2013 at 3:14 am

Jules, I have forgiven all that forgiveness will allow. So, you go on ok, but , then..there’s some things forgiveness ‘don’t allow’. But, that’s what you live with. My sister in law once said, “you have to learn to live with your sins”. I guess that’s right. Then, about the people going out of your life….I have a friend…Never see him. That hurts somehow. But, I just go on.

4. March 26, 2013 at 4:18 am

We have had this conversation, a little bit, I think, when I was in the depths of some heavy stuff. About how you go through certain things that change you as a person and cut you deeply, and how those wounds heal and form the person that you become, one way or another. How things you think you’ll regret become learning experiences. How learning experiences become things you regret. There is some serendipity to things, I think – for instance, my initial meeting with G was happenstance, but as things came about later, he became a friend and was able to give me some advice that made the crucial difference between my decision to fall off the cliff or flapping my broken wings at a critical time. You never know how you touch people, or what kind of impact you’ll have on their lives…but there’s a ripple effect to it, I do believe. I’m not sure what bad you’ve done G, but I know in my book you’ve made a difference, and I think a lot of us would say the same thing.

I have some heavy regrets myself…there are certain things that will just always weigh down your soul. Sometimes things you can’t fix. The best remedy I’ve found for this is moving on, like you said…trying to do some good that will hopefully outweigh the bad.

I agree wholeheartedly with Jules…and I’m not a very religious person, but my mantra so to speak has always been, do good…evaluate whether or not your heart and your intentions are in the right place. Do the most you can every day, just try.

I know what you mean about your friend. I have a friend too, who is not in my life right now, but was a big part of my life for one of the bigger parts of my life. We don’t really talk. I still care about this person, but sometimes you just have to give certain situations the space and time to heal. I do know it takes a bigger person to try to reconcile something, even if it doesn’t work out. Don’t ever give up on the idea that it might…if you still care, you’re halfway there.

March 26, 2013 at 6:34 am

g SAID….”that Goliath done….it hurt and it hurt others”….
    First, I have NEVER seen that!
    Goliath has a good and kind heart.
    Always.
    A well brought up person and a fine man.

Well,…. maybe just a small relapse only once……when after consuming
    mass quantities of distilled spirits with Uncle Bill and Greaser
    when you were almost violent
    at Danny Boys over the rediculous MASS TRANSIT bull s***……
    🙂 🙂 🙂
    …heh…heh…heh…

6. charo wild
    March 26, 2013 at 6:40 am

you better not leave us now…..you are part of our tomorrow’s, we being older than 60. Enjoy Goliath very much. You have great wisdom for such a young old giant.

7. Amy
    March 26, 2013 at 9:49 am

And here we go. Yet another reason(s) I just love Goliath. Your shared insight on the topic of atonement “You don’t talk about what it is you done or what you done to make up for it” and forgiveness, “I have forgiven all that forgiveness will allow” allows readers a glimpse into the mind of a gentle giant. I am glad it’s “someday” and not this day that you will be closing down the blog. For now I hope you continue teaching and sharing your insights. I for one, glean many a thoughtful verse that really gets me thinking and smiling and sometimes crying. Gotta love the giant.

8. Jules
    March 26, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Pope Francis made the comment in his first homily that people are much harder on others than God ever is because of his infinite love of us…And I’ll add to that we’re even more hard on ourselves when we shouldn’t be…My feeling is the weight of the guilt of what we feel we’ve done to others is often more than enough atonement…Much more sometimes.

9. Bob Thurman
    March 26, 2013 at 6:29 pm

When you are my age you find that a lot of people have left you. Some you are sad about & some you are glad about, & there is nothing you caan do aabout either but accept it.