Jeff’s Big Four Ramp delayed: REALLY???? Update: Down by the River

(Photo by L. Farris)

Ok,  according to Greg Prince,  the Big Four Ramp on the Jeff side is delayed from completion because of LIGHTING issues.  ………………Really?    ……………..REALLY?

Goliath heard scuttle butt that  “Nasa…we have a problem” …it has to do with the support column on this side of the floodwall that supports the Ramp coming off the bridge.  Goliath went down and took a look and ….felt a little queasy…Column looks like it’s shifted and tilting about one or two degrees off center.  WTH?    The ‘buzz’ was that the parties were very very busy assigning blame.  The engineers blamed the architects who blamed the contractor who blamed the engineers ….or something like that.

Then THIS story comes out today in the NT.  Yeah…that’s the ticket….the problem is we got the wrong color of lights.  How fricking stupid do they think people are. May I calmly point out that the lights are a ridiculous excuse?  First…through August, the sun will be out to about ten pm or so…and the bridge is only open til eleven.  So, let me get this straight, you are delaying the bridge because …because during ONE HOUR of the bridge’s open hours,  we wouldn’t have the right color lights?   BOY HOWDY!!!

Who is Greg Prince?  I want to hire that guy!!!  That takes massive stones to stand in front of the public and pass out that shizz.  Buried in the presentation is this GEM of understatement: “He added that other items that have pushed the project back included a delay in moving an historic home on Walnut Street that needed to be removed prior to Gohmann Asphalt — the contractor for the project — starting construction. Also, once steel box girders were set in place last fall, the contractor noticed that they were not performing as expected.  ”     No.  I guess those ‘steel box girders’ were not ‘performing as expected at all.”     Local “Junkyard Dog” Lawyer, Steve Voelker commented on the NT story:” Again, Louisville laughs at our governmental ineptness. The first delay was caused by Rob Waiz’s failure to recognize that the house had to be moved, the second by the hiring of engineers that made mistakes.”

The Contractor on this is Gohman Asphalt.  This is the same proud local company that  paid $6.7 million to the federal government, $1.1 million to Kentucky and $362,165 to Indiana to settle allegations of FRAUD  a few years ago.  Of course, it should be said that while they paid this out, they specifically did not admit any wrongdoing.

Goliath walked that bridge now, three times…what a great asset for Jeff!  But, last time Goliath was there with the Sprout, looking over the rooftops for the Goliath Compound, he heard the following comments, “Gee…no progress”   “They’ll be forever getting that done” : These were the random comments from strangers gazing at the Jeff Ramp.

I feel a little sick.

20 comments for “Jeff’s Big Four Ramp delayed: REALLY???? Update: Down by the River

1. Jules
    March 21, 2013 at 2:00 am

The idea that we’re missing the entire “inaugural” summer, when excitement will be at its highest is more than slightly disappointing…I’d also heard comments about the “bad winter” also playing a part in the delay…BAD WINTER??…What bad winter??!!

2. March 21, 2013 at 2:02 am

Jules, I , for one, am willing to accept not being able to walk on a lit ramp from 10 pm to 11 pm if that’s what the problem is. How about you?

3. Jules
    March 21, 2013 at 2:31 am

Hey, I’d be walking Champ the Crazy Cock-a-poo ( with our doggie poo bag), so it would be perfectly fine with me.

4. clarkcountysfinest
    March 21, 2013 at 2:46 am

I think its crazy that Louisville has had there side done forever and it qas a lot more construction than the indiana side. It shows how clark county is messed up in a lot of ways!

5. Mark
    March 21, 2013 at 3:29 am

You are correct about the sinking pier, the steel being supported by this huge mistake is starting to twist. I called it last month saying our ramp won’t be open until Sept. at the very earliest. Walking Louisville’s waterfront park has me debating after 13yrs if I should move back across the river.

6. The 'BikerDude'
    March 21, 2013 at 10:15 am

I’d say ……”knock yerself out ,dude”……..Over’ere daily……if not fer have’n ta work there…….would’n pizz on it for it……..

7. kevin vissing
    March 21, 2013 at 11:28 am

I thought bridge open 24 hours. Only time to be closed is thunder.

8. March 21, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Maybe I am wrong Kevin. I thought I saw a sign on the KY sign saying hours and a close of 11 pm. Now I am curious. I will have to check it this weekend.

9. March 21, 2013 at 1:17 pm

I was dumbfounded when I heard it would be August before the Indiana side was open. I guess walkers will continue to have a good laugh at Jeff until then 🙁

I’m glad Responsible Pet Owners are having a rally this weekend to encourage people with pets to take “doggie bags” with them when they walk their pets on the bridge. I hope this helps so dogs are not banned from the bridge.

10. March 21, 2013 at 2:14 pm

I thought it was 11 also….

Bummed that it won’t be open.

11. CoughBullshitCough
    March 21, 2013 at 2:56 pm

So the smell coming from the Big Four has NOT been the dog shit.

12. Jules
    March 21, 2013 at 3:50 pm

In regards to nearby residents complaining about the lighting coming from the bridge being too bright, I’ve not heard that from anyone…Someone on the CCC made the comment about how could people be bothered by that lighting if they weren’t bothered by the new street lights installed a couple of years ago, and I agree…Now those are some bright lights, but I think most people downtown affected by them have made their peace with them…There isn’t that much housing left around the bridge area to be affected by the lighting anyway…My parents have probably been affected by the walking bridge construction on a day-to-day basis more than almost any other homeowner in the area ( and will probably be one of those most affected by the new lighting too) and I’ve not heard one real complaint from them…They’ve just rolled with it…I was going to say why can’t all older people be like that, but in truth why can’t ALL people be like that??!!…Anyway, I find all the lighting excuse rather weak.

13. Mike
    March 21, 2013 at 5:42 pm

I agree with Kevin on this one. We have been told it would be open 24 hours a day. I wonder why they have changed this? Or maybe the Ky side closes at 11 PM but the Indiana side is open 24/7. Maybe this is a communication problem.

14. CoughBullshitCough
    March 21, 2013 at 6:46 pm

When it comes to Jeff you can bank on a communication problem being the root of any disaster.

15. ChopperWoman
    March 22, 2013 at 12:38 am

Jules, the lighting was changed because many Rose Hill residents (many of the ones who gave feed back anyway) didn’t like the style of the original lighting plan that copies the Louisville side. They may not have expressed this view to you but they did express it to the city. So the change in lighting was unveiled back in like September or October. Can’t imagine why it would be causing such a delay though. Doesn’t seem like a good excuse to me either. But then I’m not an engineer and would have no idea how long it really should take.

• Jules
      March 22, 2013 at 1:15 am

Although my family didn’t have an opinion one way or the other, I do know that the neighborhood assoc. did…As you said, it just seems like a very long delay to change lighting…Also, if it was known it would take that long for those changes to be implemented, it seems someone should have mentioned it at the time…Perhaps the neighbors would have reconsidered their opinion of the original lighting.

16. Brian Coffman
    March 22, 2013 at 2:10 am

The problem is that they used some recycled steel for the steel box girders. I commend them for being environmentally friendly and trying to recycle. Unfortunately the steel that was used came off The Sherman Minton.

17. March 22, 2013 at 8:32 pm