The History of the Clark County Chatter by Pesty

PestyRobinGreetings all! I am just jetting back into the good old USA from Venezuala where I was on a special op concerning the recent demise of my long time associate Hugo. What a great guy! Anyway,  I have been keeping up with the local Blog scene and recently noticed that Grumpy Granny has written an authoritative history of the Clark County Chatter.

Congratulations to GG and the Chatter. Thank the heathern Gawds that GG has been there throughout the evolution of the CCC or else we fear it would have turned into something horrible.  GG’s article is well written and presents the evolution of the site as seen from her eyes and from the ‘inside’ of the CCC. The site is to be congratulated for having survived and thrived for nearly four years.  As one who has been ‘on site’ and a witness to the history, allow me to make a few observations.  The site was a response to the shut down of the old ‘Hey Martha” site run by the News Tribune.  For whatever reasons, the NT opted out. (I don’t recall that they have ever said or explained that). Supermike and Mike Hutt were even featured in a story in the NT about taking up the slack. Supermike jealously guarded his identity and my hat’s off to the guy for stepping up and then stepping out when he did.  The early role of Mike Hutt is also a curious fact that answers, for me, Pesty,  a lot about why his  various antics have been tolerated on the CCC these many years.

One of the constants that has been present and isn’t referred to in GG’s history, is the controversy that has attended the CCC.  Very often the site was seen as a virtual campaign tool for Mike Moore both when he was running for re-election as County Commissioner (John Perkins presently is serving out MM’s term) and then when he threw himself into the Jeff Race for Mayor.  To its credit,  the CCC also made itself available to ANY candidate who wanted a forum to present themselves.  Sometimes this was pretty successful and other times it turned into a bash fest. But, given what seems to be the core constituency of the CCC,  I suppose that was to be expected.

Aside from helping get Mike Moore elected (and this is not the article to discuss whether that is a good thing or a bad thing) the CCC can justifiably take pride in having an impact on the political life of the community.  Pesty knows, as a certainty, that public officials DO give thought to how their actions will be judged in the public forum of the CCC (and Gawnews btw).  Certainly, through the efforts of posters on the CCC (and Gawnews) information about our government is often brought into the open. Unfortunately,  sometimes that information gets swamped in buckets of ignorant or uninformed comments. But,  there IS a value in getting the information out there. The CCC has been succesful (to greater or lesser degrees depending on the issue) in fulfilling this part of its mission.

The CCC has also been instrumental in educating its readers on another vital topic…how do we internet readers  behave ourselves with this great new tool of the internet and forums?  Like Gawnews,  the CCC has had to make up the rules as it came along.  The CCC and Gawnews have taken different approaches with the CCC being more restrictive and more formalized.  This has drawn lots of complaints and there is little doubt that the rules have not always been applied fairly.  But, over all,  the CCC has been succesful in establishing what the boundaries of conduct were and enforcing them. That alone is an achievement and deserves acknowledgment. This process was also visible for all to see and if you were paying attention,  you learned about how regular people given a rather extraordinary challenge dealt with problem.  This was not only educational for us locally,  but also helped us be better and more insightful when we looked at other forums and web sites on the internet.  Facebook and other websites that offered ‘comments’  we looked at with an insight others didn’t have.  I think the local forums should be proud that, in comparison,  they hold up pretty damn well.  The CCC included.

Congratulations Grumpy Granny and the CCC for a nice article and all your achievements.  Sorry you’ll never be quite as good as Gawnews, but then again, who could be?

7 comments for “The History of the Clark County Chatter by Pesty

March 10, 2013 at 5:10 pm

How do we post images?
    Pesty is a very sharp dresser
    and his many fans need to see him.
    How is the airstream trailer?

• March 10, 2013 at 5:16 pm

You should be able to as always.

2. Mike
    March 10, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Granny gave a pretty good history of the chatter but some things were left out. Perhaps these took place before granny became interested in the chatter.

Mike Moore introduced me to Supermike during one of the meetings that were held to discuss the Methadone clinic. It was a special meeting held at the clinic at the request of Ed Meyer.

Shortly after that meeting the Hey Martha forem was unplugged…and without notice. I asked MM for Supermike’s phone number and gave him a call to see what he would charge to set up a private forum to replace Hey Martha. We talked for a while and Super said he would look into what was required and the cost associated with it. Super called back the next night and said he would set it up and run it if I would pay the expenses. A deal was struck and in a few days the CCC was up and running.

Some of the first users wanted to donate to help pay the expenses and we decided to take ’em up on the offer. I collected the donations and sent the money to Super. Later on Super decided to go with paid ads on the CCC to cover the costs.

Another item not covered by Granny was the name itself. Super asked me to come up with a name for the forum. Not being the creative type I phoned Tom DeArk in Clarksville. An hour later we had a list of about 6 proposed names and Super selected Clark County Chatter from the list. That was one of DeArk’s suggested names for the forem.

The rest of what Granny listed was close to being correct. I am very gratefull to Super, Granny, the Professor, and Colt’s fan

3. GG
    March 10, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Pesty, thank you for your kind words. You are correct, who could be as good as Goliath? I maay have 61 years of (questionable) wisdom, but big G has had 3000+ years…years I could never hope to achieve! One regret I have is not being able to talk G into joining the second Chatter; I missed his posts on the Hey, Martha site and the first Chatter.

Mike is correct about being instrumental in helping finance the Chatter, and taking donations for Supermike. I didn’t mention it simply because that was an agreement between them and I was not privy to any details as to what extent Mike financed the Chatter. I tried to speak of only what I definitely know or can surmise from my experience.

Mike, I do thank you for your part in helping Supermike start the Chatter. Since you didn’t find me completely correct in the rest of my history, I would appreciate anything you can point out that is incorrect so I may edit and correct the history.

I do owe TomD an apology for not crediting the name of the site to him. He mentioned making the suggestion for the name a while back, but it slipped my mind. I will correct that oversight.

Many thanks to Pesty and Goliath.

4. March 10, 2013 at 8:37 pm

One small but, to Goliath, important correction…Goliath was on the Hey Martha site…but was NEVER on the CCC.

5. GG
    March 10, 2013 at 9:09 pm

My apologies, G…I thought you did post on the first Chatter…when you were “outted”. Perhaps it was Pesty I’m thinking about…

Sorry.

6. March 13, 2013 at 5:19 am

The CCC doesn’t hold a flame to the mighty GAW and it’s stringers, who work ’round the clock to deliver late breaking news and whatnot.

To quote the Big Lebowski,

“We’ve got ’em working in shifts!”