Bob Bottorff Biography. Goliath predicts: Bob will be our next PROSECUTOR

A Family Tradition of Service to Clark County

Picture

Picture

Family is and always has been a very important part of my life, and so, in telling about myself, it is only natural to tell you first about my family, which has been instrumental in shaping my world-view. I was born in Jeffersonville, Clark County, Indiana, in 1975 to James L. Bottorff II and Carlene (Hibbard) Bottorff. I am the youngest of 2 children. My brother, Chris, along with his wife and 2 children, live in Jeffersonville, Indiana, while I have settled in the outskirts of Charlestown Township, on the west side of Bull Creek Road.My mother’s parents, Carl and Ada Hibbard, were originally from London, Kentucky. Every year we still visit my grandmother’s family in London, Kentucky for the Patton Family Reunion (that’s where the photograph above was taken) on my great-grandparents’ dairy farm. Carl and Ada left London for Milltown, Indiana, where they operated a small family farm, but ultimately began operating a dry cleaning business after relocating here in Jeffersonville; B & H Cleaners. In my early years, I recall spending days with my grandmother at B & H, and meeting folks coming in to drop off and pick up their laundry. My grandmother is 90 years old now (the oldest living sibling of 9 brothers and sisters), and still lives here in Jeffersonville.My dad’s family (the Bottorffs) have been in Clark County, Indiana, since the 1790’s. My great-grandfather (James L. Bottorff) served as the Clark County Prosecutor from 1921-1924, and later served as the Clark County Circuit Court Judge from 1939 until 1962. As the Circuit Court Judge, Judge Bottorff was renowned as being tough on crime, and was the driving force in eradicating illegal gambling rings in Clark County, previously known as “Little Chicago,” because of the mobsters who made Jeffersonville their second (rather prosperous) home. The Judge had 2 sons, Jim and my grandfather, Bob. Bob had one son, my dad James L. Bottorff II, and two daughters, Cindy (Bottorff) Skehan and Elizabeth (Bottorff) Ahlemann.

My mom and dad both graduated from Jeffersonville High School. After high school, my dad was working at the dry cleaners for Mr. and Mrs. Hibbard; that’s where mom and dad met. They were married and settled here in Jeffersonville. Mom worked for the Census Bureau, retiring from there after nearly 44 years in 2013. During the early part of her career, mom was a student at Indiana University Southeast, from which she graduated with a degree in elementary education. She has remained an active part of IUS, having served on the Board of Advisors for many years.

Early on, my dad’s career was in public service. He worked for the City of Jeffersonville, while also serving in the Army Reserves, for many years, and then served the public as the elected Clark County Treasurer, followed by the Clark County Assessor. His career in public service culminated with his service as a State Representative in Indiana’s 71 District, where he served for nearly 16 years. During his tenure with the State Legislature, he also ran his own appraisal service business here in Jeffersonville. He died while in office after a brief battle with colon cancer. The remaining year of dad’s last term in office was served by my mom.

While I am proud of my family’s accomplishments, these career highlights really do not give much of a picture of what these people have meant to my life. Mom and dad (and all my family members) instilled in both my brother and I the sense that not only is our community’s well-being important, but that we have a natural obligation to be involved in making it better. As such, my family and I have always been, and continue to be, active members of community organizations that strive to make Clark County, Indiana better in some way:  First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), the Clark County Youth Coalition, the Jeffersonville Chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, Indiana University Southeast, the Clark and Floyd County Tourism Bureau (which has been working to change America’s history books to make the starting point of the Lewis and Clark Expedition here in Clark County, rather than St. Louis), the YMCA of Southern Indiana, the United Way, Jerry’s Place Recovery House for Men, the Clark County Youth Shelter, the Clark County Casting and Conservation Club, the Coon Hunters Club of Clark County, Indiana, the Hibernia Homemaker’s Club, the Clark County Democratic Party, the Jeffersonville Optimist Club, the Jeffersonville Elk’s Club, the Bottorff Association of America, the Clark County 4H, the Clark County Farm Bureau, American Cancer Society, the American Red Cross, the Howard Steamboat Museum, etc.

26 comments for “Bob Bottorff Biography. Goliath predicts: Bob will be our next PROSECUTOR

1. KnowsBetter
    July 23, 2014 at 9:52 am

I sure hope Bottorff doesn’t win. He declared his candidacy while he was the chairman of the Democrat party. On election night in 2012, he called Ed Meyer a great public servant.

Stewart won’t prosecute Democrat officials who get caught red handed doing very bad things. Bottorff won’t either. Vote for Mull to make sure politicians are held accountable – Stewart is the reason that Clark County politicians feel like they can get away with robbing us blind. Bottorff is more of the same.

2. July 23, 2014 at 1:38 pm

I think you are uninformed. I am trying to understand how you figure that Stewart’s Chief Deputy, Mr. Mull, is going to be different policy wise, than Stewart? First, I think you are uninformed and that the truth is Stewart treats public officials properly, meaning…the same way others would be. No better…but no worse. I suspect somebody you don’t like for whatever reason didn’t get prosecuted like you want them to. But, my guess is the case was evaluated like anybody elses…if there ever was a case. Second, Mr. Mull is a good guy and I think would handle public official cases the same way…i.e., based on the facts and not trying to slam somebody on weak or no facts just because he could. Third, I think Bob Bottorff would act the same. In fact, on this particular issue I don’t think there is a hairs worth of difference between the three men.

3. 'Hood
    July 23, 2014 at 3:16 pm

GNB “Head Scratching Desk”
    Wow, good job Goliath!

That is a most strange and inaccurate attack by K-B on Stewart and Bottorff !
    Looks like someone with a grudge…….
    or who has a “secrete hidden agenda”……
    …..hmmmm…….

This is an excellent point by the smart giant!
    “But tell me oh anonymous one…if you don’t like Stewart…why would you love his Chief Deputy? Hate Caesar but love Marc Antony? I don’t get that thinking.”

4. 'Hood
    July 23, 2014 at 3:56 pm

“Stewart is the reason that Clark County politicians feel like they can get away with robbing us blind.”

Wow…..

The attorneys and judges do actually ” know better” !
    As do the administrative staffs for,
    and members of,
    the Indiana Judicial Center,
    the Indiana Prosecuting Attorney’s Council,
    the Indiana Judge’s Conference,
    and the Indiana Supreme Court .

Anyone within or without of the legal profession
    knows that
    Steve Stewart
    is very highly regarded in Indiana.

The attorneys and judges do actually know better!

5. 'Hood
    July 23, 2014 at 4:12 pm

GAW News Bureau Attorney Analysis Desk

Bob Bottorff, Jeremy Mull, and Steve Stewart
    are all three very good persons
    and very competent lawyers.
    Clark County is very fortunate to have them.

The wise Goliath stated: “In fact, on this particular issue I don’t think there is a hairs worth of difference between the three men.”

6. 'Hood
    July 23, 2014 at 4:26 pm

GNB “At The End of the Day” Desk

Ad·di·tion·al·ly,
    the learned GSL
    is way too restrained in tooting is own horn.
    He just won a very big case and is too modest
    to brag!

“At The End of the Day”……….

7. Bob
    July 23, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Were any of these men involved in releasing six time felon Richard Hooten so that he could commit murder?

• July 23, 2014 at 7:00 pm

Not really.

• Bob
        July 23, 2014 at 10:31 pm

Someone didn’t do their job. You can’t put a 6 time violent sex offender back on the street. That’s pure uncaring incompetence.

July 23, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Picking out sad and tragic cases
    can be done in any county in America.
    They are very heartfelt and painful.
    Thousands and thousands of cases are dealt with
    in Clark County alone
    in a decade
    by lawyers, prosecutors,
    and judges.
    This defendant’s cases
    were all handed properly.

04/17/2014
    Plea Agreement Filed
    JOINT STATEMENT OF PLEA AGR TO ENSURE THAT DEF IS NEVER RELEASED FROM PRISON filed. (tdtc).

Filed By:
    Adams, Andrew

Filed By:
    Hooten, Richard Carley, Jr.

Filed By:
    State of Indiana

Filed By:
    Stewart, Steven Donald

Filed By:
    Westerfeld, Brent

Filed Stamp:
    04/17/2014

04/17/2014
    Change of Plea Hearing (2:30 PM) (Judicial Officer Carmichael, Vicki L) Result: Commenced and concluded

04/17/2014
    Hearing Journal Entry (Judicial Officer: Carmichael, Vicki L )
    GUILTY PLEA HEARING HELD. State by Stewart & Mull, Defendant in custody w/counsel, Adams and Westerfeld and Defendant withdraws formerly entered not guilty plea. The Court outlines Joint Statement of Plea Agreement to Ensure that the Defendant is Never Released From Prison in great detail, and Defendant affirming that he understands and hereby enters a plea of guilty to Count I – Murder, Count II, Rape (B FEL), Count III – Criminal Deviate Conduct and admits Count V – Habitual Offender. State’s Exhibits 1-5 identified and admitted into the record. The Court hereby enters judgment of conviction and orders the Probation Department to prepare and file a Pre-Sentence Investigation Report on or before 5/12/14. Sentencing set for 5/19/14. State dismisses Count IV – Request for Death Sentence.

Present:
    Hooten, Richard Carley, Jr.

Present:
    Stewart, Steven Donald

Present:
    Westerfeld, Brent

Hearing Date:
    04/17/2014

04/21/2014
    Hearing Scheduling Activity
    Jury Trial scheduled for 08/11/2014 at 11:00 AM was cancelled. Reason: Agreed Resolution.

04/21/2014
    Hearing Scheduling Activity
    Change of Plea Hearing scheduled for 04/17/2014 at 2:30 PM.

04/21/2014
    Hearing Scheduling Activity
    Sentencing Hearing scheduled for 05/19/2014 at 1:30 PM.

05/12/2014
    Presentence Investigation Report Filed
    (tdtc)

Filed By:
    State of Indiana

File Stamp:
    05/12/2014

05/19/2014
    Sentencing Hearing (1:30 PM) (Judicial Officer Carmichael, Vicki L) Result: Commenced and concluded

05/19/2014
    Hearing Journal Entry (Judicial Officer: Carmichael, Vicki L )
    SENTENCING HEARING HELD. Def in custody w/counsel, Adams & Westerfeld; State by Stewart & Mull; Testimony heard from two State’s witnesses. The Court, having previousy accepted the guilty pleas entered in this case and entered judgment of conviction, does now sentence the Defendant as follows; Count I – Murder – to Life Without Parole; Count II – Rape (B FEL) to a twenty year fixed term of imprisonment at the IDOC, enhanced by Count V – Habitual Offender by 30 years; Count III – Criminal Deviate Conduct (B FEL) to a twenty year fixed term of imprisonment at the IDOC for a executed term of Life Without Parole plus 70 years and with JTC from 3/2/13 – present.

Present:
    Adams, Andrew

Present:
    Hooten, Richard Carley, Jr.

Present:
    Stewart, Steven Donald

Present:
    Westerfeld, Brent

Hearing Date:
    05/19/2014

05/19/2014

Disposition (Judicial Officer: Carmichael, Vicki L)

1. 35-42-1-1(1): Murder
    Plea by Agreement

2. 35-42-4-1(a)(1)/FB: Rape (force or imminent threat of force)
    Plea by Agreement

3. 35-42-4-2(a)(1)/FB: Criminal Deviate Conduct – Victim Compelled By Force Or Imminent Threat Of Force
    Plea by Agreement

4. Death Penalty
    Dismissed with Prejudice

5. 35-50-2-8(a)/: Habitual Offender
    Plea by Agreement

05/19/2014

Sentenced (Judicial Officer: Carmichael, Vicki L)

1. 35-42-1-1(1): Murder

Comment ()

Confinement to Commence 05/19/2014
    Indiana Department of Correction
    Term: Life
    Jail Credit: 437 Days
    Consecutive with Prior Sentence: Counts II, III & V

05/19/2014

Sentenced (Judicial Officer: Carmichael, Vicki L)

2. 35-42-4-1(a)(1)/FB: Rape (force or imminent threat of force)

Comment ()

Confinement to Commence 05/19/2014
    Indiana Department of Correction
    Term:20 Yr
    Consecutive with Prior Sentence: Counts II & V

05/19/2014

Sentenced (Judicial Officer: Carmichael, Vicki L)

Comment ()

Confinement to Commence 05/19/2014
    Indiana Department of Correction
    Term:20 Yr
    Consecutive with Prior Sentence: Counts I, II & V

05/19/2014

Sentenced (Judicial Officer: Carmichael, Vicki L)

5. 35-50-2-8(a)/: Habitual Offender

Comment ()

Confinement to Commence 05/19/2014
    Indiana Department of Correction
    Term:30 Yr
    Consecutive with Prior Sentence: Counts I, II & III

• Bob
      July 24, 2014 at 8:26 am

They weren’t all handled properly or this habitual felon violent sex offender would not have been out of prison.

July 23, 2014 at 10:54 pm

Stewart got yer panties in a twist there boys?

….hee…hee…hee….

Sorry,
    but SStew is doing a fine job!

10. Yvonne
    July 24, 2014 at 10:12 am

You lawyers crack me up. Mull can be his own man when Stewart is not there telling him what he can and cannot do.

Go Mull!

• July 24, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Mr. Mull hasn’t said a peep about changing Stewart’s policy regarding public officials. He HAS said “I understand that over 90% of all crime in Clark County is related to drug use. For families of the drug-addicted, this can be a heartbreaking process of seeing a loved one move towards self-destruction and harmful behaviors. For crime victims, drug-fueled crimes can lead to death, injury, medical bills, property-loss, increased homeowners premiums because of break-ins, and a loss of the sense of security. In response to this, I was a founding member of the Clark County Drug Court Program, which seeks to put some low-risk drug-addicted offenders into intensive treatment and court monitoring programs, and has been proven to greatly reduce recidivism and help graduates live productive, law-abiding lives. I continue to believe that mandatory treatment should be required of all criminals who have a drug problem. However, for those individuals who sell drugs and, in effect, facilitate the crimes in our community, I firmly believe that lengthy prison sentences are the most effective way to rehabilitate them. If elected, I will use all of my experience, training, and resources to attack the supply of illegal drugs in our community to reduce crime and to reduce the heartache of family members of those persons affected most.

I live in Clark County. I care deeply about keeping our community safe for the sake of my loved ones and yours.”(from his website) and he said, “I have some specific strategies that I intend on implementing if I am elected. Number one, I am going to focus on taking down and sending to prison the high-level drug dealers in the community,” he said, “the ones that are selling the pills, the illegal drugs, and I intend on doing that by working with the different police departments to work our way up the chain of suppliers and really try to make a dent in the supply of drugs in our community.”
      (NewsTribune article)

He also said he would maintain his focus on violent crime and theft in that article. He claimed he would work on clearing out the jail too. Not a word about changing policy on prosecuting a public official.

Jeremy is a good person and it appears he wishes to intensify investigation and prosecution of upper level drug dealers.

• July 24, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Having said all that, Bob Bottorff is a good person too. He was a broadly experienced prosecutor and now enjoys
        an even broader experience having spent a few years in the world of civil litigation which his opponent
        lacks.

Bob has tradition on his side as well. Descended from people who made a real difference in the history of
        Clark County it’s consistent with that family tradition and history to serve the County.

I think Yvonne is ‘full of it’ if she thinks Jeremy isn’t his own man right now.

• Bob Hill
        July 26, 2014 at 11:18 am

So what has Bob said he would do differently as the head prosecutor?

July 24, 2014 at 3:35 pm

GNB “At The End of the Day” Desk

Goliath posted
    in reference to the
    “low information voters”:
    “I think you are uninformed.”

Wow, G, well and truly said!
    The Goliath
    and
    the Gaw News Bureau do rock!

🙂 😉

12. Donna
    July 24, 2014 at 8:41 pm

Bottorff is simply running on a family name!!! No real experience. When he was in the prosecutors office he did a lackluster job. Great guy, yes. Great prosecutor, no.

• July 24, 2014 at 10:35 pm

WTH are you talking about. What is this? the slam Bob Bottorff team?

That is simply DEAD wrong. Bob did an excellent job as anyone who knows would tell you. Stewart thought so highly of him he tabbed him to be his Treasurer for his campaign when he last ran.

• Bob Hill
        July 26, 2014 at 6:39 pm

If Stew thought so much of Bob then why did he not make him the Chief instead of Mr. Mull? Evidently he thought enough of Mr. Mull to cross party lines which apparently is highly frowned on around here. I say vote the person not the party.

• July 26, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Oh my heathern GAWDS!!!! Bob was not in the office when Bill Grimes the Chief Deputy retired from the office. Jeremy was doing the job Bob used to do. Good Grief.

13. Leah
    July 26, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Where is the photo of Bobby and “the horse he rode in on?”

• July 26, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Leah, I would but these anonymous Bob Bashers would probably start trashing the horse. “That horse’s confirmation ain’t right” ” That horse ain’t as fast as Jeremy’s Corvette” “Jeremy would ride an Arabian if’n he was to ride…not some dad blast Quarter horse!” etc., Goliath could not bear it.

14. Earl
    July 27, 2014 at 1:39 pm

bob spelled backward is still bob. Bathroom graffiti I once observed. No idea of the significance. Just funny when I was drunk! Then there was this other one, ” born in a mountain, raised in a cave” …. uh, nevermind.

• Southern Belle