Bob Bottorff’s Plan for Positive Change: Community Partnership

Plan for Positive Change:  A Proactive Community Approach to Criminal Prosecution

The underlying purpose of criminal prosecution is simple: To make our community safe by reducing crime. While this goal is easily stated, attaining lower crime rates requires a multi-faceted approach, which begins on our neighborhood streets. There has been a reinvigorated neighborhood movement in Clark County, and the prosecutor’s office, under my leadership, will be a partner with these associations, along with other community leaders. By partnering with neighborhood leaders, and the law enforcement officers who are on the streets everyday, the prosecutor can better anticipate crime, and take steps to respond to the community’s needs before crime occurs to keep it from happening. This is a proactive approach, whereby the prosecutor is working directly with community leaders (i.e., neighborhood association leaders, police, educators, social service leaders, etc…) to attack crime in our high crime areas, and direct resources to these areas to (1) reduce the opportunity for crime, (2) reduce the need for crime, and (3) increase the effective response when it occurs.

The Current, Reactive Approach in Place Now
As it stands, criminal prosecution begins after a law enforcement officer investigates potential criminal activity (based on a citizen report or his/her personal observation). Once the officer’s investigation is completed, a report is generated and is submitted to the prosecutor’s office for review and for formal charging. Currently, this is the first time the prosecutor’s office involves itself in the crime fighting process. Formal charges are prepared based on the information provided in the law enforcement officer’s investigation report and are filed with the appropriate court. The criminal defendant is then brought before the court for the reading of the formal charges, the Constitutional rights, the minimum and maximum possible penalties, the setting of deadlines, and follow-up dates to allow for information to be exchanged between the defendants attorney and the state of Indiana, and negotiations between the parties begin, often taking months or years. During this time all possible deterrent impact of swift punishment is lost, and local tax dollars are wasted housing the pretrial detainee.

This approach is out-dated and is not working as our community continues to grow.

The New Proactive Approach Under My Leadership

My commitment to Clark County is to the following core principals, which summarize some of the more specific policies I will be implementing if I am selected to serve our community as it’s next Prosecuting Attorney. If you have further question, please contact me and let me know.

Step One- Community Partnerships
I will be partnering with our neighborhood associations, law enforcement agencies, and other community leaders to keep a dynamic strategy in place to keep crime from happening in our neighborhoods.

Step Two- Focus on Training
The Prosecutor’s office will begin monthly training sessions with local law enforcement agencies, to help law enforcement officers, who are required to make instantaneous legal decisions that are later picked apart and scrutinized in court by attorneys attempting to serve their clients. Officers need to be provided the tools to confidently make these decisions. Along with these monthly training sessions, the prosecutors in my office will be partnering with police officers in each of our local police agencies to do “ride-alongs” to help build a sense of teamwork between the prosecutors and our men and women in blue. Without this perspective, a prosecutor simply cannot understand the sacrifices these men and women make on a daily basis. Lastly, deputy prosecutors will be participating in required jury trial training programs.

Step Three- Victims First
When people are victimized by criminals in our community, the Prosecutor’s office must respond to the needs of the victims and their families. Under my leadership this support will begin at the beginning of the criminal prosecution, and will continue until the criminal defendant no longer presents a threat to our community.

I want to be the next Clark County Prosecuting Attorney because I care deeply about our community and I am disappointed that we can no longer feel comfortable letting kids ride their bikes around my home town. To me, that means we have lost something that was very special about Clark County. We may never be able to go back to where we were, but I am committed to helping eradicate the forces that have stolen our sense of security.

29 comments for “Bob Bottorff’s Plan for Positive Change: Community Partnership

1. Mr. Anonymous
    August 19, 2014 at 8:17 am

Um…forgot something there ol’ Bob-O…you gotta set a bond for the criminal also or you’ll be bringing EVEN MORE lawsuits to our county. Just thought I should mention that.

• August 19, 2014 at 9:11 pm

I only note that the current lawsuits are directed at the Court and the Sheriff’s office primarily and not targeted at the Prosecutor’s office despite their unique role in the Drug Court. (assuming that is what you are referring to).

Bond is set by the Courts, generally on a scale assigned based on level of offense. The prosecutor can ask for a higher, or lower bond.

• Curmudgeon
        August 23, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Thanks G — yours is a fair criticism I can live with (regarding the R).

I’ve never thought whether you were an R or a D should be a controlling factor in local politics. In fact, after Rich Vissing beat Jane Reisert in the Jeff Mayor’s race back in the 60s (in which the hot issue was collective bargaining for public employees, with Mayor Vissing opposed, and candidate Reisert for), my Dad answered the State Republican chairman’s inquiry as to why Republicans couldn’t do any better in Clark by replying to the effect that “It’s a little difficult to run to the right of Clark County Democrats”. While not universally true today, I think Clark County Democrats as a whole continue to be far more conservative than their state or national parties.

I would also note that my belief that continuing efforts to slander Les Young’s reputation are wholly unwarranted. I did not know him well when I took the job, but am now convinced that, while he may be a little rough around the edges, he does not have a dishonest bone in his body. This County owes him an enormous debt of gratitude for the yeoman’s work he did in heading up the emergency response to the Henryville tornadoes (whether it acknowledges such debt or not).

2. KnowsBetter
    August 19, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Wonder if Bob would start prosecuting Democrats who get caught red handed doing bad things. That would be a change from what we’ve got now

• August 19, 2014 at 9:06 pm

It is not fair to blame Bob’s opponent for ‘what we have now’ regarding charging decisions of local politicians. It would be inappropriate for the prosecutor’s office to handle cases with whom there are potential conflicts of interest. That is why the current administration has generally referred such cases to an independent special prosecutor.

• August 19, 2014 at 9:08 pm

I believe that this policy is correct and I imagine Bob would continue to refer to special prosecution any case where he would be viewed as favoring or getting retribution to an individual due to personal or professional ties.

3. August 19, 2014 at 10:00 pm

I am sorry but I had to remove potential libel. I would recommend you ask Bob straight up, ‘Knows better”

• KnowsBetter
      August 19, 2014 at 10:04 pm

What a joke. there wasn’t a single thing in that comment that wasn’t true. Keep your blinders on.

• August 19, 2014 at 11:20 pm

I disagree. I take it you prefer to come here, anonymously, and try to besmirch good people like Bob by….association with what you perceive as ‘bad’. I won’t allow that. I recommend you go to …some other site.

4. August 19, 2014 at 11:23 pm

Incidentally, I do not believe that Jeremy Mull, for one minute, would approve of this kind of crap. You dishonor him by your creepy anonymous chucks at Bob.

• KnowsBetter
      August 20, 2014 at 8:43 am

Yeah ok. You cant even argue with the point i made so you deleted it instead. When are you going to wake up and deal with the problems clark dems have? By the time you do it will be too late. I am a democrat and support national and state candidates, but the local party is loaded with crooks and cronies..

• KnowsBetter
        August 20, 2014 at 8:47 am

And i’m not calling Bob a crook at all. I just don’t think he’s got the stomach to stand up to them if they have a d behind there name

August 20, 2014 at 3:15 pm

…”knows better”, dude, ….where is brother Earl ? Eh ?”

GNB Infowars Desk

Pesty allegedly in special GNB Black Op Prep !

Go Pesty!

Navy Conducts First Series of Drone and Manned Fighter Jet Operations

First time manned and unmanned aircraft operate from a carrier
    by W. J. Hennigan | Los Angeles Times | August 19, 2014

Pesty of the GNB Special Ops Unit working with the US Navy:

6. Curmudgeon
    August 20, 2014 at 5:44 pm

G:

Just left a more lengthy diatribe post on your favorite site (the CCC) regarding the outrageous sweetheart plea deal that the Prosecutor’s office just gave to a 58 year-old man that admitted to sexually abusing a 6 year-old girl during the period of April through December last year (see News and Tribune article of August 19). No jail time!!! 3 years probation with the first year in work release! I would be interested in your take on this given your vastly superior expertise in this area of the law. However, for me, this would indicate that we need to totally clean house in the current Prosecutor’s office as this result could not have been obtained without their express approval.

• hoosiertaxpayer
      August 21, 2014 at 8:29 am

Some might say the “sweetheart deal” you mentioned is reminiscent of some of the alleged “sweetheart” deals you allegedly brokered for the three recently defeated Dem. Co. Commissioners. The old saying “the pot calling the kettle black ” comes to mind.

It also appears the best way to clean house of a particular County office (Commissioners) would be to have you represent them…..

• Southern Belle
        August 21, 2014 at 9:47 am

Hoosier Taxpayer posted: …….” the alleged
        ‘sweetheart’ deals
        you allegedly brokered
        for the three recently defeated Dem. Co. Commissioners”……..

Huh?

What deals were those?
        Who was involved?
        I do no recall any CC Commissioners
        being involved with any charges……
        Which really smart lawyer
        represented them:
        1.) The very capable Curmudgeon?,
        2.) The very capable GSL ?

• hoosiertaxpayer
          August 21, 2014 at 6:51 pm

Southern Belle you really need to get out more if you don’t know the answers to the questions you posed…

and where exactly did I say that any charges were filed ???

• Curmudgeon
        August 21, 2014 at 11:46 am

I am enormously proud of the work my firm and I did during my tenure as County Attorney. I acted in accordance with my ethical obligations during the entirety of my representation. To the extent that you imply otherwise, you are a cowardly liar. Would welcome the opportunity to discuss with you further face to face.

• 'Hood
          August 21, 2014 at 2:43 pm

A Goliath News Bureau stringer person
          posted on the GAW Chat Section:

“Goliath,
          shouldn’t
          Curmudgeon
          be given
          full press credentials
          with the Goliath News Bureau
          and turned loose
          on a Clark County Pol Reporting Gig thing also?”

Sounds most excellent!

G, let’s get Curmudgeon
          signed up fast and get him added to great
          GAW News Bureau team !

The rival CCC will be under even greater scrutiny !

• Southern Belle
            August 21, 2014 at 2:54 pm

GNB Eloquence Desk

Curmudgeon nailed it!

He posted for Brother H-T:
            “I am enormously proud of the work my firm and I did during my tenure as County Attorney. I acted in accordance with my ethical obligations during the entirety of my representation.
            To the extent that you imply otherwise, you are a cowardly liar.
            I Would welcome the opportunity to discuss with you further
            face to face.”

Dude!
            Wow!

I agree with the H.T.H.I.A.P.!

Someone that accurate and eloquent
            MUST be added to the GNB News Team!

🙂

• hoosiertaxpayer
          August 21, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Obviously your standard of ethics is different than the majority of Clark Co. voters…all I heard before the past election that unseated both Dem. incumbent Commissioners was the issues (you know what they are) while maybe legal but had the smell of improprieties, alleged personal favors and misleading and circumventing procedures.

These issues by all indications were a key factor in the defeat of both former Commissioners. While you may or may not had advised the ex Commissioners to take the course of action they took (I have no way of knowing) ,your vociferous defense of them in both the newspaper and the Clark County Chatter lead me to believe otherwise. As did the majority of Co. voters who as you phrased it “cleaned house”…and removed both incumbents.

I have no desire to meet some one face to face that stoops to the age old defense of 10 year olds everywhere of name calling….I like you had an opinion, in your case it was the Clark Co. prosecutor’s office in my case it was your tenure representing the Clark Co. Commissioners. Opinions do not merit calling one a liar I haven’t misrepresented any facts…It is just my opinion and a lot of fellow voters I talked to.

I happen to agree with you on the the actions of the prosecutor’s office on the case you referenced above but thought it was a cheap shot or bad judgement throwing it into the “Jeremy Mull for Prosecutor ” thread, thereby insinuating intentionally or unintentionally Mr. Mull was somehow involved…

Finally and I know it won’t be popular on here but you can take it to the bank Mr. Mull will be the next Clark Co. prosecutor

• Curmudgeon
            August 22, 2014 at 3:11 pm

If you are continuing to insinuate that I have somehow acted in an unethical manner, then I renew my direct accusation that you are a cowardly liar. This is not name calling — again, it is a direct accusation unless you can provide proof of the claims to support your insinuations.

Feel free to stop by 428 Meigs anytime you want to present your evidence and I will be glad to reconsider my position.

Finally, I would note that you have an odd way of attempting to express that you are in agreement with someone.

• hoosiertaxpayer
            August 22, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Keep trying to convince yourself of that…the public pretty much decided the behavior when they kicked Young, Myer and yourself to the curb…I could give a rat’s ass about discussing it with you, my mind and the mind of the majority of voters are made up and spoken for all for the betterment of Clark Co. Drop by and discuss it with NHBSM he might listen….

7. 'Hood
    August 20, 2014 at 11:29 pm

The wise Curmudgeon posted:
    ” I would be interested
    in your take
    on this
    given your
    vastly superior expertise
    in this area of the law.”
    …….”this would indicate that we need to totally clean house in the current Prosecutor’s office”………….
    ….”as this result could not have been obtained
    without their express approval”……

Wise Curmudgeon:

True.
    Thank you!
    Dude, my expertise actually may be ‘vastly superior’;
    however, it is definitely sociologically SIGNIFICANT !
    ……. and it is, like, dude, for sure MOST excellent…
    …..as well as pretty dang good……

The “current office” is OPPOSING Bob Bottorff…..

Electing Mr. Bottorff cleans house.
    Ask Jake, whom decided not to run.
    The current office is strangely opposing Bob Bottorff.
    The sages say that Mr. Mull will not ne controlled by Pence.
    We KNOW that Mr. Bottorff will not.

8. August 22, 2014 at 10:02 pm

HT…. you are out of your depth here. Curmudgeon did an excellent job in the tough situation of being county attorney. Believe me…you are insulting him and you just look like an ass for doing so.

Why don’t you man up and bring forward the proof of your insulting claims dude? The reason is you don’t have proof. You are making the classic mistake…you don’t like the clients…so you blame the lawyer. But in this case the lawyer was pretty awesome. (even if he was a Republican…which I hated..LOL)

• Curmudgeon
      August 23, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Not sure how my last post appeared under your first post and not after your last post (to which I was replying). — Not sure I possess the IT expertise to be added to the GNB News Team as suggested by Southern Belle (but I certainly appreciate the thought).

9. hoosiertaxpayer
    August 23, 2014 at 10:19 pm

Whoa there Big G. NOWHERE . did I make any “insulting claims”. I was merely playing the classic psychological game of Insinuation with Mr Fifer. Just as Mr. Fifer insinuated in his posts that Mr. Mull was somehow involved in the plea bargain “sweetheart deal” he referenced to. I merely turned the tables around and “insinuated” that Mr. Fifer MAY have been involved in the alleged “sweetheart” deals that was widely reported by the media concerning the former County Commissioners.

Mr. Fifer took the bait and went ballistic and called me a “cowardly liar” for my mere “insinuation” about his involvement. I suppose that would if he chose to, give Mr. Mull every right to call Mr. Fifer a “cowardly liar’ as well, but that’s not what the game of “insinuation ” is about. It’s about seeing if a person treats people differently when they are on the other/ opposing end of any sort of situation, dilemma, confrontation etc. In other words treating people as you would like to be treated, so to speak.

Mr Fifer failed the game of “Insinuation” miserably for in the game you should react the same no matter which side of the situation you’re on. Unless of course Mr. Fifer likes being called or considers himself a “cowardly liar”. In that scenario I assume he would pass the test.

Just trying to keep things interesting ….

Stay vigilant my friend

.http://hoosiertaxpayer.blogspot.com/2014/08/political-dirty-behavior-legal-but.html

• Curmudgeon
      August 24, 2014 at 1:37 pm

HT —

I don’t play the game of “insinuation” — have received lots of complaints about positions I have taken over the years, but I’ve never had anyone complain that they didn’t know where i stood. Not inclined to start playing such games with you now …

10. Earl
    August 27, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Both Bob and Jeremy appear to be qualified, capable individuals. To my knowledge, they have avoided mudslinging and character assassination. Clark Co. should have a excellent prosecutor regardless of who wins the election.